I started making baby wipes when my 2nd son was born. I still buy wipes for traveling because the package is more convenient. A lot of recipes use baby oil and baby wash. My first son was very sensitive to a lot of things so to be safe, I used Cetaphil wash & coconut oil because coconut oil is antibacterial and antimicrobial.
INGREDIENTS for ONE container of wipes:
- 2 Cups of water (previously boiled and cooled OR you can use distilled water)
- 2 Tablespoon Cetaphil Gentle Wash (or any baby wash)
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil (or baby oil)
- 10-15 drops of Tea Tree essential oil which is also antibacterial and antimicrobial
- Other essential oils (as desired)
- One roll paper towel (I used Bounty's select a size because of the thickness & durability, cut in half)
- Plastic container (Mine were from Ikea)
- Cut paper towel in half (if you're making two batches, double your ingredients)
- Mix the water, melted coconut oil, essential oil & baby wash in a measuring cup. I find that it's easier to pour if I use a measuring cup. Stir well to combine.
Note: If your coconut oil is solid (it usually is), microwave it until it's melted.
- Place paper towel cut side down (because I don't want to see the shredded parts LOL)
- Pour mixture over paper towel.
- Let it sit for a 10-15 minutes upside down. This helps the paper towels soak up the mixture.
- Cut an "X" in the middle of the lid.
- After 10-15 minutes, pull the cardboard from the middle. It should slide out easily.
- Pull a piece from the middle and slide it through the lid. I used a the flip top from a used pack of wipes I purchased at Costco (They're smaller than they used to be which I LOVE).
You can basically customize the recipe the way you want. That's what's so great about making your own wipes. Use less water if you prefer it to be more dry or more water if you like it more moist. It also depends on the size of your paper towels. I've used regular size paper towels before (vs. select-a-size) and find that the pieces were too large so I really like the select-a-size option.