Saturday, December 21, 2013

DIY Picture Canvas

I'm really bad at printing my photos & displaying them! So I wanted to try the DIY picture canvas I've seen all over Pinterest & after looking at SO MANY tutorials, I finally decided to give it a shot!


SUPPLIES:

• 16x20 Photo ($5.99)
• 16x20 Canvas ($5 on sale at JoAnns)
• Bottle of Matte Modge Podge ($5 w/ 50% coupon @ Michaels)
• Large Sponge Brush (<$1) - for applying Modge Podge
• Small Sponge Brush (<$1) - for applying paint
• Acrylic Paint (<$1) - pic shows 3 colors but I decided to use black 
• X-acto Knife
• Hanging Supplies (it's light so use what you like. I had hooks/wires $1)

Total Cost: about $15

DIRECTIONS:

1) Apply Modge Podge using large brush all over the canvas (I used newspaper underneath to protect my table). 

2) Place photo on canvas. Position it in center as much as possible. 


3) Let dry for 15 mins & turn it upside down & trim the photo using an X-acto  knife. Remember to use a Matt underneath to protect the surface. 



4) Apply a thin layer of Modge Podge over the photo in one direction using stroking motion (It creates a textured look). The photo will look milky and white but don't worry, it'll dry clear. 



5) After it dries (no more milky glue) Apply another thin layer in the other direction. If you applied the first layer from left to right. Go up and down this time. 

6) Apply black paint to the sides of canvas using the small sponge brush. I did a horrible job of trimming it so I brought the black up over the front edge for an artistic look (really to cover my flaws!) 




7) After it dries completely, screw on eyelets about 1/3 way down from top, add wires & hang!



This photo was taken at Wright's Beach in the California Sonoma Coast Campgrounds - our favorite place to camp every year! Our friend Mark helped take this photo. Thanks Mark!


No comments:

Post a Comment