Friday, September 11, 2015

DIY Ice Pack & Cover

We spent the weekend in Tahoe at Sugar Pine Point for Labor Day weekend. Surprisingly, no one got seriously injured or cut, bruises, etc.... that's until we got home. While my oldest was chasing his brother around, the little one slipped and banged his head on the banister. It looked really bad but it didn't bleed (barely) and it looked more like it was dented... eventually it bounced back to it's original shape. I'm surprised that he wasn't crying as much as I would have!





Anyway, this is when I realized I need to make another ice pack... for the kids. I could use one too because I started my allergy shots a couple of months ago and on very low dosages but I keep having a reaction so they recommend using an ice pack to sooth the local reaction from the shots (ouch).



If you haven't made ice packs before, there's several ways to do it but years ago when I use to deal with plugged ducts from nursing, the lactation nurse recommended using rubbing alcohol and water. This was pre-Pinterest! 

All you need is 1 part rubbing alcohol and 3 parts water.  Put this mixture in a Ziploc bag. I don't recommend using thin generic zip bags. I like the thicker Ziploc brand especially if the closure has two "zippers". For fun, you can add food coloring for the kiddos. Let them help because my little boys love to help me with everything. Wait, they don't always like to help clean! So, I take that back, they don't love to help with everything.



And what fun way to use the ice pack than to make a soft cover for it using flannel fabric.I purchased tons of fabric while I was pregnant. I couldn't resist the 70% off sales they have for flannel from time to time at JoAnn's Fabric. It ends up being less than $2 a yard sometimes!

Materials:

Fabric (Something soft)
Scissors or fabric cutter
Sewing Machine 
Pins
Coordinating thread

Instructions:

My quart Ziploc measured approx. 7x8 inches. One end will need to be slightly longer because it will fold over (you'll see).

Cut your fabric to size. I cut mine 9x18 inches.



Fold edges in about 1/4 inches and pin. Then sew around.




Fold one end up leaving 1.5 inches. Fold the flap down and pin edges.




Sew the two sides. The ice pack is in there (it's hard to tell). 

Just so we're clear. I'm no expert in sewing... my lines are never straight and most of the time, I have no idea what I'm doing. I make these for my personal use and so it's okay if they're imperfect :)


No comments:

Post a Comment