Thursday, September 17, 2015

DIY Shirt (Name Tag)

I recently made DIY bridal tanks for my friend's bridal shower (using freezer paper). I had Vinyl that I wanted to use to make a shirt for my son. I upgraded my Cricut Expression to the Explore. I haven't used it much but I LOVE IT! It was a birthday gift to myself ... and TODAY is actually my birthday! I took the day off. Had lunch with my husband (alone for once) and unloaded a few rounds at the shooting range. After picking up our oldest, I decided it was time to start on the shirt. I saw this tutorial online recently and have been dying to make one! 

I found a name tag on Design Space for $0.99 cents. Ugh hello!?! The whole point of me purchasing the Explore was so I can upload my own images! So, I searched online and found some random one and edited it in Photoshop so that it was the right file (for where it will cut). Here's the link to it (hope it works!). 

I had my son sign his name on a white piece of paper and also made that a digital file in Photoshop. I checked out a couple of tutorials online from PHLEARN & Jack Lewis (random search) on how to make an electronic signature.



I'm so happy with how it turned out! 

I used Design Space to create the design, cut it on the Cricut Explore (mirror image option) and ironed it onto a shirt I bought from Walmart for $2.

What I used: 

T-Shirt
Iron On Vinyl
Iron
Cricut Explore

What I did:

So... Once I got the files (signature and name tag) onto my computer, I uploaded it to Design Space. I followed the instructions on the vinyl...

Create design in Design Space. Mine was about 4x7 inches. His shirt is boy's 6-7. 

What I didn't know (only used this twice) is that you have to choose the "cut" option which is the scissors icon. When I uploaded the files, it was on print as default.



The liner (shiny) side is placed down on the Cricut mat. Set the Explore to Vinyl (love this option!). When cutting iron on vinyl, you need to check the "mirror image" option so it's the right side when you iron it on. 



Then you "weed" out any white parts you don't want to iron. 

Place vinyl side down on the shirt (shiny side/liner on top). 

Set iron to Linen/Cotton and turn OFF steam. 



Use another fabric between the vinyl and iron. Press for 25-30 seconds and turn around and do the same on the back.

Peel off the liner.

I'm still learning how to use this but I have no doubt that I will LOVE it.
I don't know why I still expect him to "stay still" when I ask HAHA


Looking at me through his binoculars.


He said he was a monkey... I'm not convinced. 



No comments:

Post a Comment