Sunday, March 22, 2015

DIY Teething Necklace


I've been wanting to make a teething necklace using fabric. It looked easy enough and I've already made a Teething Crochet Necklace & the Wooden Teething Rings. With some trial and error, I've settled with what I've got. When you have little ones, it's hard to squeeze in time to do anything. My oldest (4) went to the market with daddy and the 2 year old and 7 month old was napping. So I quickly got on it. Of course, they woke before I was done and I attempted to finish with my 2 year old in my craft room while wearing my 7 month old on my back. When I turned around, my 2 year old was cutting my yarn (ohhh no!).


MATERIALS:

Fabric 48"x3.5" strip of fabric
(9) 1" wooden beads
(1) Button
Elastic

Sewing machine and thread

I took this photo before I decided to use the button & elastic



DIRECTIONS:

I had a few fat quarter sheets laying around. This meant that it wasn't long enough. I had to sew three 3.5 inch pieces together to get 48 inches. At first I only sewed 2 pieces together and it turned out to be too short. Wash fabric after cutting & iron if needed.

Fold the fabric with the right side of fabric on the inside and sew the edges (Twice).




Flip the fabric inside out. First I used a safety pin and it took forever (remember I'm trying to hurry before the kids wake up). 



When I made the second one, I sewed one end of the strip and stuck my tension rod in it to flip it. Then I snipped off the ends (so its open again). This was much  quicker!





Tie a knot in the middle of the fabric. Pop in one of the beads from one end of the fabric. Tie a knot to secure the bead. Pop in another bead from the other end of the fabric and secure with a knot again. Repeat until you have 9 beads (or however many you want). 

This photo is actually when I started on one end first. I think starting in the middle worked out better for me.



I decided last minute that I wanted to add a button because I wanted to slip in a wooden ring (maybe, but I wanted to have that option).




Use with a wooden ring too!


And just for fun, here are my boys hanging out (for only a short period of time) while I was doing this. 




No comments:

Post a Comment