Thursday, November 13, 2014

DIY Vapor Shower Discs


It's the cold and flu season and I'm so tired of being sick. Once one person gets sick, everyone will eventually... especially if you have little ones who touch everything!

I'm nursing and there's a lot of unsafe things that can be passed onto the baby (3 months old) and he's also congested and miserable. You can't really give little ones any medication. So I purchased a vaporizer for Essential Oils. I read tons of reviews and eventually I bought one that was both affordable and had good reviews.

While researching everything related to essential oils, I came across these DIY Vic's Vapor Shower Discs. I've never used the Vic's brand before although I have been tempted to. Now, I get to try it for almost free since I already have all the ingredients at home!

I'm no doctor but I'd love to try this so here it goes!

SUPPLIES (Makes 16 Discs): 

2 Cups Baking Soda
2 Tablespoon Cornstarch
1 Teaspoon Salt
2/3 Cups water, Plus 4 Tablespoons Water (I'm sure there's an easier way to convert this but I just doubled the original recipe lol)

Essential Oils: Eucalyptus*, Peppermint*, Rosemary* & Lavender.

Muffin Baking Pan
Liners

*I read that there is safety issues with using eucalyptus, peppermint & Rosemary oils in young children. 

Love Eucalyptus!

INSTRUCTIONS:

Combine the baking soda, cornstarch & salt. Slowly mix in the water. This will become a thick paste.



Line the pan & scoop about a tablespoon of the mixture into the liners. I ended up with 16.



Bake for 30 minutes at 300° (Or leave overnight - I don't have the patience).

Add Essential Oils:

Eucalyptus 10 Drops
Rosemary 9 Drops
Peppermint 4 Drops (I read somewhere it may burn so I used less)
Lavender 3 Drops (My first batch so testing out how much I'd like in it)

(UPDATE 12/30/14: After having used this... I would use more oils for myself since I felt like it wasn't enough)


I waited a couple of hours before peeling off the liners and I placed them in Mason Jars. As you can see I had issues getting the liners off. I read on another blog that you should peel it off before the pan cools down completely or use silicone. I don't have silicone pans and I forgot about peeling it off. Trial and error, right? :)


No comments:

Post a Comment